In the News
The following are news articles and tidbits from Discover the James programming.
- Photos from Eagle Tour - Ricky Simpson. Check out these wonderful eagle and heron images, click here.
- Yelp. Good reviews from folks who have taken the tour. Yelp Review, click here.
- Village News. Local paper with an article about Discover the James' parntership with Henricus Historical Park. Village News post, click here.
- Washington Post. Article about things to do in Richmond, highlighting the Bald Eagle Tour. http://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/travel/richmond-vaoutdoor-adventure-capital-in-the-impulsive-traveler/2011/08/04/glQAL8UMBJ_story.html
- Style Weekly. Article on Discover the James' Bald Eagle Tours. http://www.styleweekly.com/ME2/dirmod.asp?sid=&nm=&type=Publishing&mod=Publications%3A%3AArticle&mid=8F3A7027421841978F18BE895F87F791&tier=4&id=ABCF7FBE92E34B4C81E9785525B7EAB4
- CBS News Channel 6. Local Richmond TV spot on the health of the James River. http://www.wtvr.com/news/wtvr-james-river-pollution-story,0,5376688.story
- In-Fisherman Magazine. National magazine, spotlight on 'tricking out your catfish boat'. http://www.in-fisherman.com/2011/06/08/trick-my-catboat/
- The Examiner.com. Regional new website. Article about Discover The James' Bald Eagle Tour. http://www.examiner.com/day-trips-in-richmond/bald-eagles-are-a-sight-to-behold-on-virginia-s-james-river
- Richmond Times Dispatch. Article on the new Capt. John Smith Trail Tour. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/rtd/news/local/article/JAME14_20090913-215608/292679/
- North American Fishing Club. National magazine article on James River catfish. http://www.fishingclub.com/magazine/articles/articletype/articleview/articleid/615/tidewater-cats
- Virginia Game & Fish Magazine. Article on Family Fishing Oppotunities in Virginia. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/30/fishing_va_aa065303a/
- Virginia Game & Fish Magazine. Article on Flathead Fishing the James River. http://www.gameandfishmag.com/2010/09/30/fishing_catfish-fishing_va_0609_02/
- James River Park System. A huge honor for me ... 2011 River Hero!. http://www.jamesriverpark.org/be-a-friend/river-hero.php
- Richmond BizSense. Article entitled "On a Roll on the River". http://www.richmondbizsense.com/2011/10/13/on-a-roll-on-the-river/
- James River Association. Article about one of the most amazing things I have ever seen on the river, Atlantic sturgeon. http://www.jamesriverassociation.org/enjoy-the-james/wildlife-of-the-james-sturgeon
- Richmond Times Dispatch. Newpaper article on "line class" world record catfish caught off my boat. http://www2.timesdispatch.com/sports/2008/jan/27/-rtd_2008_01_27_0143-ar-137651/
Above, left photo: This sunrise is surely one of the finest sunrises on the James River. It has a flavor of something special, but believe me ... every sunrise on the river have some special quality. Perhaps it's as simple as the time of day. Being on the river very early in the morning is something everyone should do whenever possible. But this, December 20, 2011 morning, it was the glow of a cloudless morning and the spectacular cloud formations, colors and reflextion of a windless river ... that makes this image one of my favorites ... ever.
--Photo by Capt. Mike
To the right: This was an epic battle between man and fish. Here, Ralph was battling a huge catfish while the river began to rise. We fished near downtown, and between the time he hooked the fish and landed the fish, the river litterally rose over 1.5 feet! For every ten feet of line reeled in, twenty feet of line was pulled out by the great fish. We never saw the fish before getting it to the net, and when it was finally landed, after almost an hour, Ralph was done. Not because he was tired, but because he said, "I don't know how we could ever top this." He set the rod down, and I'm not sure if he's fished since that day or not.
-- Photo by Capt. Mike